I ordered an iphone 4S directly on Apple.com. 10 months later the unit stopped working; the phone would not start.
Booking an appointment at a Apple Store requires a bit of patience: the waiting time is of several days to one week. At my first visit my 10-month old unit was replaced by a new one.
6 months later the replacement unit stopped working
The replacement unit was diagnosed with a motherboard issue. The unit could not be recovered and it could not be repaired.
10 reasons why Apple sucks
The case raises a number of concerns about Apple’s customer service:
- Apple’s guarantee for products ordered directly via Apple.com is limited to 1 year only instead of the 2 statutory ones granted in most of the countries in the EU
- Apple Store refuses to provide the packaging box of the replacement unit. This refusal prevented me from knowing the IMEI of my replacement unit. This in turn makes all attempts to contact to their support a complicated and irritating process, either online or by phone
- The guarantee of the replacement unit was limited to 3 months one, again materially shorter than the statutory scope in the EU
- The is no way to recover any personal data on my iphone unit or via the backup at iTunes other than with yet a new Apple device.
- Apple’s customer service is a non-geographical number. That means that the client pays for the call and Apple gets a kick back of the call from the local telephone operator.
- Apple did not provide with a a escalation procedure to deal with their issues or an access to the customer Ombudsman at Apple. Apple’s support staff claimed that such procedures do not exist and that they could only provide me with the URL of a “feedback” form at http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
- I also requested a way to dispose of my non-working unit. Their junk hardware is a hazardous waste with no recycling facility offered
- Apple diverts their profits to Ireland to save taxes in most countries in the EU
- The iphone is a sub-standard piece of hardware: it failed to sync over WiFi, the battery rarely lasts more than 12 hours under normal usage conditions, ie. no gaming
- The iTunes software is a clunky and counter-intuitive piece of software: it failed to connect
Silence at Apple.com
I requested that you provide me with a replacement unit with a proper extension of its guarantee of 2 years from the order day of the original one.
All I got from my message was a thank you message at http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone_thankyou.html
Thank you for your feedback on the iPhone.We cannot respond to you personally, but please know that your message has been received and will be reviewed by the iPhone Team. If we need to follow up with you on your ideas for improving the iPhone, we will contact you directly.
We appreciate your assistance in making the iPhone better.